mardi 4 juin 2013

Conseil du Jour - David Tanner

Today's article is an interview with Australian professional cyclist David Tanner, who now rides for the Dutch team Blanco (ex Rabobank), after a couple of seasons with Saxo Bank - Tinkoff. David is currently riding on the Critérium du Dauphiné race, on which the third stage took place today - good luck David for the remaining stages and for the rest of the season:


What are your favourite training rides around Nice and Monaco ?
I have a few favorites, but to be honest all the roads are pretty spectacular.
I like to go into Italy and climb up around Perinaldo, Barajo, and stop half way through a ride for a coffee and toast. I also like it around Sospel, there are some great climbs around there to choose from.


How do you keep in shape over the winter ?
During the off-season or winter, I normally take 4 weeks off the bike, and slowly introduce the bike and gym after that. I'll have 3 sessions in the gym a week getting everything strong and ready for the next season and the bike miles we need to do in December and January. I've tried running but my body doesn't agree with that which is a shame.
 
 
What are your worst experiences on a bike ?
I have 2 that come to mind, the first being a bad accident I had in 2008 where I broke my leg, collarbone, fractured my back, and opened up my head..I was unconscious for 24hrs..it was hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel after that one. Also recently in Milan-San Remo, we experienced the most horrendous conditions I've seen (see photo)..I think a lot of guys were scared that day.
 
What are your goals for the rest of this season ?
To start with to keep on performing and improving as I feel I have been. I'm also on the 12 rider list for the Tour de France, so to be selected for that would be a big goal of mine (note - each team enters 9 riders), otherwise I will do the Vuelta in Spain. Finally, it would be great to get on the podium for some of the end of year 1 day races..

Do you ever get bored with all those long hours on the bike ?
I never seem to get bored anymore on the bike..each day of training has a specific purpose, its really just riding to fill in time..however I do enjoy stopping for a coffee and coke half way through a long day. If I'm on my own I also normally take my iPod with me which helps to stay focused.

What advice can you give to us amateur cyclists ?
My advice to amateur cyclists is firstly to also try and learn from more experienced riders. I don't think you ever stop learning about yourself or the sport. I think its really important to have a good breakfast before the ride and keep the fluids up while riding, also eating a sports bar or banana each hour. This helps keep the energy levels up and makes the ride more enjoyable. Depending on how serious the rider is I think its important to find a good coach and fine tune your position on the bike, because wrong bike position can cause injury in some cases.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire