mardi 11 juin 2013

Conseil du Jour - Neway

Body Geometry Fit 

As part of my training for this trip I decided to have a proper analysis done of my riding position. This was something that I had never considered necessary until now, but 2,500 km in a less than ideal position on the bike was a recipe for injury. Over the winter I had already picked up a recurrent problem in both hamstrings, and this was made worse by painful knees - osteo-arthritis starting already :-). I was advised to go to the Specialized concept store "Neway" at St Isidore in Nice, where they are equipped and trained to do the Body Geometry Fit (BG Fit) study:

It's a really thorough job, the most extensive around - for me it lasted a whole morning looking first at physical characteristics like build and suppleness, and then ensuring that the riding position on my bike respected certain criteria like knee angles. For me the biggest surprise was that I had been riding with the saddle way too low - I didn't know this because it felt comfortable to me, but I was definitely not using the full amplitude of the leg movement and hence losing power and increasing the risk of injury. Another adjustment was necessary to the cleat position on my cycling shoes due to having one leg slightly longer than the other.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and since the Body Geometry Fit analysis I've had no more problems with hamstrings and no pain in the knees from pedalling - now I just need them to find a solution for the knees to get me running again :-). I would thoroughly recommend this product to anyone who racks up a serious number of kilometres per year - for sure it costs a bit of money but if you want to get the most out of your bike it's money well spent.

Thanks to Philippe Vitteaut and his team at Neway, especially Philippe who carried out the Body Geometry Fit study for me.


Un élément important de ma préparation pour ce périple, c'était l'étude posturale sur le vélo. Jusqu'à maintenant je n'avais jamais pensé nécessaire une telle étude pour moi, mais il était hors de question de parcourir 2.500 kms mal positionné sur mon vélo. Pendant l'hiver j'ai commencé à avoir mal aux ischios-jambiers, de plus j'avais depuis quelques temps des douleurs au niveau des genoux (de l'arthrose déjà !!). On m'a conseillé de me rendre au magasin "Neway" - Concept Store Specialized à St Isidore à Nice, pour effectuer un Body Geometry Fit (BG Fit):

Si on pouvait rouler comme "Spartacus" !! 
C'est la méthode de positionnement la plus aboutie aujourd'hui dans le monde du vélo, durée proche des 3 heures: d'abord l'analyse des caractéristiques physiques (morphologie, souplesse...) et puis la vérification de sa position sur le vélo et le respect de certains critères (ex: l'angle des genoux). Pour moi la révélation c'était que depuis longtemps ma selle était bien trop basse - j'avais l'impression d'être bien assis mais en fait je ne déployais pas assez ma jambe. Conséquences directes, une perte de puissance et un risque supérieur de se blesser. Il a fallu aussi modifier le réglage des cales et travailler sur le soutien du pied dans la chaussure pour compenser une irrégularité de longueur de jambe.

Depuis l'étude Body Geometry Fit, je n'ai plus de problèmes d'ischios, et je n'ai plus mal aux genoux.... quand je pédale - si seulement on pouvait faire quelque chose pour la course à pied aussi :-). Je recommande cette étude donc à tous ceux qui avalent de nombreux kilomètres par an en vélo - certes ça coûte un peu d'argent mais si vous voulez profiter au maximum de votre beau vélo, ça vaut le prix.

Un grand merci à Philippe Vitteaut et toute son équipe chez Neway, et surtout à Philippe qui a conduit l'étude Body Geometry Fit avec moi.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire